Saturday, September 1, 2007

"it's kind of fun to do the impossible" - walt disney

i had that quote up in my classroom last year. i stayed after school one afternoon and laboriously taped up every individual letter, so that the words spanned the length of my back wall.

the quote needs to be put back up.

i absolutely, positively, and without reservation, LOVE my job. i am so incredibly blessed to be where i am, doing something that i was born to do. but my goodness...last week was tiring.

one of my co-workers, a gentleman across the hall, said to me on friday that last week was the longest week of his 28 years in teaching. and it was. i am spread so thin this year, it makes me a little nervous. my principal asked me on friday how my class load was, and i told him that i needed to be in at least three places at one time every period of the day. no matter what i do, no matter where i opt to go, somebody is getting short-changed. i'm going to be in a state of constantly disappointing someone.

i don't like disappointing people, be they students or co-workers. the perfectionist in me hates that it will be IMPOSSIBLE to do my job PERFECTLY.

perhaps i need to adjust my radar, redefine my expectations, adopt a "new view" of the impossible, and simply remind myself every day of what walt disney said.

yep, that quote's going back up on the wall...

1 comment:

Tersie said...

Jodi - It's so unfair that they would put that kind of workload on teachers to make them consider redefining their expectations! That's one thing that I always have loved about the Waverly school district - the teachers really seem to care and want to do their very best for the kids! When you know that you're bound to disappoint someone, and there's no way to avoid it, that's just not right! I'm sorry that you are in that situation. It makes a job that should be so enjoyable and rewarding very stressful. I hope funding will be able to come through to alleviate this situation.