Sunday, January 17, 2010

brennan manning

i read brennan manning's the ragamuffin gospel several years ago. in fact, the title of my blog was initially "just a ragamuffin", because i so deeply identify myself as such. but it wasn't until last week that it ever occurred to me to look for manning on youtube...

there are a limited number of video clips with brennan manning, but i've posted one below that spoke to me... specifically at the 2:39 mark with the following...

[jesus] lovingly comes to your seat, and says, "I have a word for you. I know your whole life story. I know every skeleton in your closet. I know every moment of sin, shame, dishonesty and degraded love that has darkened your past. Right now, I know your shallow faith, your feeble prayer life, your inconsistent discipleship, and my word is this:  I dare you to trust that I love you just as you are, and not as you should be, because you're never gonna be as you should be."

i recognize that manning's thoughts on faith result in polarization:  people are either comforted by his words of Christ's mercy, grace, and love, or they believe that he (manning) simply "makes it too easy".  as a perfectionist who tends to beat herself up for the simplest of missteps, i find myself an enthusiastic member of the first group.

so thanks, brennan.

No comments: