Saturday, December 15, 2007

please, please, please visit the dooce

even if you get tired of hearing me tell my story, you still MUST read this blog entry by heather armstrong over at the dooce. so many of you have shared your own experiences with depression, anxiety, ocd, addiction, and other mental illnesses with me. if you're still afraid of seeking help, or afraid of what others will think of you ~ you may find just the encouragement you need after reading heather's story.

on a lighter note, i loved this part of heather's entry...

I was recently at lunch with a few friends, one who had just been diagnosed with OCD that manifests itself in a need to straighten up everything around her, and I was all really? That's considered OCD? Because I thought that was just considered BEING ALIVE. And because she hasn't ever read this website she asked if I had ever been treated for a diagnosis abbreviated with capital letters. I looked across the table at my other friend, someone who is very familiar with what I have written here, and she almost gagged on an ice cube. I nodded and then explained that I'm in ongoing therapy for what's called C-R-A-Z-Y.

after reading that, i think perhaps i need to change my own blog label/tag from "depression" to "C-R-A-Z-Y".

'cause if we're all honest, we're all a little C-R-A-Z-Y at times, don't you think?

2 comments:

ESnod said...

I am addicted to dooce. Since that day at your pool when you told me about dooce, I check her blog daily. Funny stuff really. The article you are speaking of was very good. Most of us think we are weak when we have to reach out for help. Quite frankly I think just the opposite. Great page that dooce has. I recommend it too!!!

Sarah said...

I love Dooce. She is my daily dose of laughter. She is raw, honest, and hilarious. I loved this blog entry because even though it was funny it had that touch of seriousness and honesty that I found really inspiring.