Sunday, October 21, 2007

team loyalty

it's not been a happy weekend for many football fans. my beloved tigers lost to the 'burg friday night. auburn, my brother in-law's alma mater, lost in the closing seconds of their game to LSU. and notre dame...well, what can i say? we're just plain awful.

there's been a lot of grumbling these past couple of days about waverly's loss to wheelersburg. a lot of finger-pointing and whining, fans acting as if they are more knowledgable than coaches, and what-not. a lot of really teed-off people teeing off to anybody who's willing to listen.

hey, we lost. truly, it's not the end of the world.

leo is incredibly passionate about the fighting irish, but i'll never forget what he said to me one time after an ND loss...

"if my happiness depends on the performance of teenagers and young men who play a game on saturday afternoons, then i have bigger problems to deal with [than losing a football game]."

amen.

my son, ian, wore one of his many ND football jerseys to church this morning, where one gentleman made the comment, "i can't believe you're still wearing that thing"...which i'm sure was a reference to our rather bad season. i, of course, butted right in and said, "of course, he's still wearing it. we love our boys." loving our boys means we hang in there with them, no matter what.

man, i LOVE my tigers.

and i LOVE my irish.

and when they lose...life still goes on.

get over it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amen! To this I add I love the Reds! lol!